THROUGH THE ARCHIVES: Enlargement of St Columb’s Cathedral proposed
From the News Letter, October 28, 1884
Plans for the enlargement of St Columb’s Cathedral in Londonderry were expected to get under way shortly, reported the News Letter this day in 1884.
The paper reported that at a recent meeting of the select vestry of the cathedral that “certain plans were submitted and approved by a large majority”.
It was proposed to make an addition to the eastern part of the cathedral which would allow for an extra 300 “sittings” to the congregation as well “as affording better accommodation for the choir and officiating clergy”.
But the decision to proceed with the plan renovation to the cathedral was not without its opposition.
The paper noted: “Within the last few days we regret to say that the minority of the [select] vestry have got up some opposition to the proposed change. A memorial has been prepared for signature in opposition to any interference with the fabric, on the ground that it would spoil the appearance of an old historic building.”
In response to the proposed plans the opponents had brought forward the idea of building a new church in the southern part of the city for “the accommodation of working men” who at present cannot be seated in the cathedral at that time.
It was though hoped that “the minority will not press their opposition, seeing that the enlargement scheme has the approval of the majority of both the clergy and the laity”.