New Michaela trial a possibility

THERE could be a new trial to discover who murdered Michaela McAreavey, Martin McGuinness has indicated after a meeting with the Mauritian High Comissioner in London today (Thursday).

The Deputy First Minister met Abhimanu Mahendra Kundasamy and said NI’s Attorney General will review the papers from the trial, which last week resulted in the acquittal of both men accused of the 27-year-old schoolteacher’s murder.

The Mauritian PM said earlier this week that he would welcome the help of officers from Scotland yard, the PSNI and the Gardaí.

Mr McGuinness, who previously criticised the way the investigation and trial had been handled, and said today’s meeting allowed him to express that on behalf the people of Ireland.

“There is a very strong view that the McAreavey and Harte families have been very badly treated by the Mauritian justice authorities,” he said.

“During the course of our meeting, there was a very strong emphasis by Mauritian representatives that the government feel very strongly about this, that there was unanimous support in the Mauritian parliament and that they are very determined to ensure those responsible are brought to justice.”

He said there is a real desire for a new trial to find Michaela’s killers.

“It’s absolutely vital that the Mauritius government’s participation and involvement in this can only be in the context of a new trial,” he said.

“We can’t have a situation where people are just going to examine papers then walk away.”