New Carbon Monoxide Awareness booklet out

editorial image

Banbridge District Council has issued a new awareness booklet to mark Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month 2014.

The council teamed up with the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) to launch the (CO) information booklet which is is now available from your local Environmental Health and Building Control departments.

It helps you to recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, what to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, how to identify potential sources of carbon monoxide in your home and offers advice on the proper installation, maintenance and use of fuel-burning appliances.

A new poster has also been produced for display by suppliers of solid fuel or gas appliances, warning customers of the potential dangers from carbon monoxide.

Welcoming the new booklet and poster as part of the NI CO Safety Group’s ongoing drive to raise carbon monoxide awareness, David Lindsay, Director of Environmental Services for Banbridge District Council said: “I’d urge everyone to heed the advice being offered to help reduce the dangers from carbon monoxide in your home.

“I’d also remind householders that before installing a new solid fuel appliance, or relining or installing flues and chimneys for these appliances, it is a legal requirement to submit an application for building regulation approval.

“Please contact your local council’s building control department before you start this work”

Richard Meredith, who heads HSENI’s Major Hazards and Gas Group added: “Anyone who uses an appliance that burns a fossil fuel, such as gas, oil, coal, peat or wood is at potential risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. “Remember the best protection from this deadly gas is to make sure all fuel burning appliances are properly installed and serviced at least once a year.

by a registered engineer.

“In addition, ensure that chimneys and flues are inspected annually and swept if required by a 
registered technician.”

“As a backup precaution, you should also install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.”

Copies of the new carbon monoxide information booklets are available from local DIY stores and fireplace stockists. Alternatively, contact the council’s Environmental Health Department on 4066 0606.

For more information contact the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland on: 0800 0320 121 or visit the ‘Watch Out. Carbon Monoxide Kills’ website www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout