THE mother of a Banbridge teenager who is in Boston on work placement has told of how her son was due to be at the finish line to watch the conclusion of the ill-fated marathon.
Three people died and scores more were injured in last Monday night’s Boston bombings. Shane McBurney, who is in the city on a work placement scheme was due to take his place at the end of the race along with a number of his colleagues but a last minute decision to go elsewhere proved to be a wise choice.
“Shane works two blocks away from where the bombs went off. He’s had a very lucky escape,” said his mother, Teresa.
“He phoned that night to say that he was safe. His boss was also in contact with all of the parents of those on the trip to let them know that they were all OK.
“I had been out at rehearsals for Banbridge Musical Society and arrived home when my husband, who had been watching the coverage on the news, asked me if I’d heard what had been happening.
“I was in total shock but then he told me that Shane had been in contact to say he was fine. I was so relieved.
“He also posted a message on Facebook to say that he was alright, just to let his friends know.”
Shane, whose family live on the Old Newry Road, is on placement with Young Initiatives, a six week scheme which offers opportunities to young people aged 16-25.
“Shane’s still enjoying his time in Boston but he is so cross with the people behind this. He can’t understand why someone would want to do something like this,” Teresa added.
“But, like the rest of the people of Boston, he is getting on with things as best as he can and he’s determined to enjoy himself as best as he can while he is out there.”
Three people were killed and more than 170 wounded when the two bombs exploded near the finish line of the marathon.
The blasts killed Martin Richard, aged eight, Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lu Lingzi, 23, a postgraduate student from China.