‘Wheelie bin’ murder accused denied bail

Craigavon 'Police Forensics leaving the murder scene of 40 year old Owen Creaney of Victoria Place Lurgan
Craigavon 'Police Forensics leaving the murder scene of 40 year old Owen Creaney of Victoria Place Lurgan

A mother-of-one accused of murder was refused bail yesterday amid fears that she would reoffend.

Remanding 23-year-old Shauneen Boyle back into custody, District Judge Mervyn Bates said he was also concerned about her interfering with the ongoing police investigation.

Boyle, of Edenderry Park, Banbridge, and 27-year-old Stephen Hughes are jointly charged with the murder of Owen Creaney on a date unknown between July 4 and 5 last year.

The charge arises after the badly beaten body of 40-year-old Mr Creaney was found hidden in a wheelie bin at the back of Hughes’ house at Moyraverty Court in Craigavon after a report of suspicious activity, although police believe that he may have been in the bin for a number of days.

Speaking at the time of the discovery, Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said Mr Creaney was a “frail and vulnerable” member of our society who was disabled and used a walking aid.

He said it appeared that he “was the victim of a serious and sustained assault” and had initially survived the beating but later died while in the bin.

Boyle and Hughes were arrested before officers uncovered the victim’s body in a green bin at the house and the court has heard that, during interviews, each blamed the other for the death, notwithstanding the fact that Boyle had allegedly confessed to a witness that she had assaulted Mr Creaney.

With Boyle appearing via videolink yesterday, a detective sergeant said there was evidence that, if released, there was a risk of further offending as she had quite a substantial record in relation to violence.

It was claimed she was a possible flight risk as at one stage she was planning to go and live with her father in Liverpool.

Boyle’s solicitor Peter Corrigan said police found the body of the victim because she told them where it was, adding that she did not stonewall them but gave a detailed account of everything that happened.

A social worker who is in contact with the defendant on a regular basis gave evidence saying social services would have no objection to her being released on bail and that Boyle was “100 per cent” committed to her son.

Judge Bates said he did not consider there to be any flight risk but added that Boyle faces a serious charge and expressed concern about the risk of reoffending and interference with witnesses.

Boyle was remanded for a further videolink appearance on May 8.