Union flag removed from lamp post

THE Banbridge Deputy District Master has described the burning of union flag as disrespectful and frustrating.

David Watson was speaking after the flag was stripped from a lamp post near Banbridge Orange hall and burnt sometime during late Sunday July 21 and early Monday July 22.

A wheelie bin belonging to a pensioner in the area was also set on fire.

Mr Watson says he believes whoever burnt the flag is trying to stir up tension in the area. He explained: “This is the second attack in Banbridge in recent weeks following paint being daubed on a commemorative tablet at Dunbar’s Bridge.”

He continued: “The flag was replaced on the Monday evening and the very next morning somebody had taken it down. It’s disrespectful and frustrating. We decorate the town every year and the last thing we want to do is intimidate or annoy anyone. To the best of my knowledge it hasn’t been an issue before.”

Mr Watson said he believed whoever is responsible is trying to get a “reaction”. “I would call on whoever did this to stop immediately,” he added.

A spokesperson for Police in Banbridge said that a report of a criminal damage in Victoria Street on Monday, July 22 was received.

They said: “At 10.53am it was reported that a brown wheelie bin had been set alight some time during the night along with two flags which had been removed from nearby lamp posts.

“Police have conducted house to house enquiries and are appealing to anyone who has information in relation to this incident to contact them in Banbridge on 0845 600 8000. If you prefer to provide information without giving your details you can contact the independent Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.”