Children urged to be ‘Kidzsafe’ this summer

NORTHERN Ireland Electricity (NIE) is urging children in Dromore to stay safe around electricity equipment.

As part of ‘Kidzsafe’, NIE’s education initiative to encourage children to play safely near electricity equipment, Margaret Gallagher, NIE Safety Officer says: “Everyone should be aware of the dangers of electricity.

“Kidzsafe is a safety programme for young children across Northern Ireland. The initiative allows parents, teachers and children to learn together using online fact sheets as well as school talks and demonstrations. It is essential that children and their parents understand that electricity is safe when left alone, but can be potentially fatal when tampered with.

“With the summer holidays almost upon us this is a timely reminder to children to be aware of their surroundings. Anyone can be seriously injured or killed by coming into contact with overhead electricity lines and equipment while fishing, flying kites, sailing or even pitching tents.”

Margaret’s advice is simple but potentially life saving to the young and old alike.

* Never bring an object close to overhead lines - electricity can jump gaps so keep well clear especially when fishing or kite flying.

* Never throw anything at overhead lines or any electricity equipment.

* Do not try to climb on top of or enter into a substation to retrieve a toy or football. It is not worth risking a life over a toy. Every substation has a sign with a telephone number to contact the local NIE representative.

* If anything makes contact with an overhead line, do not try to retrieve it - contact NIE immediately on 08457 643 643.

* Never touch or tamper with electrical equipment or wires inside or outside your home.

“It is crucial that children appreciate the dangers of playing near electricity substations and overhead lines. Electricity pylons, poles and substations can attract adventurous youngsters but our advice is simple - stay safe by staying away from electricity equipment.”

To find out more about staying safe around electricity visit www.nie.co.uk