Nightclub set to stay closed for renovations

editorial image

The Auditorium nightclub at the Belmont Hotel will not reopen until at least Halloween as major renovations are set to be carried out following the purchase of the hotel by two local businessmen.

The Belmont has been sold to Jonathan Walker and Brian Scullion, who are trading as the Alonso Group.

A spokesperson for the group said: “We are planning renovations for the nightclub, restaurant and bar which should begin fairly soon. There will be a few big changes to the nightclub.

“The nightclub will not be open until Halloween or after. It could be around Christmas time but we’ll know more once the developers are brought in. No date has been decided yet.”

The news may come as a shock to the town’s party revellers, with the Auditorium being one of the most popular spots in Banbridge for those looking to enjoy themselves on a Saturday night.

The renovations to the bar, restaurant and hotel will not see them close at any time so it will be business as usual.

A spokesperson said: “The hotel, bar and restaurant are open at the minute and they will not close at any time. We are open for business.”

There will also be changes to the wedding venue at the Belmont.

A spokesperson said: “There will be changes to the wedding venue. Whether that will be a marquee or an add-on to the current building has not been decided.”

There will be no job losses as it was confirmed that all the current staff would be staying on.

The hotel had been up for sale for a few months.

Lambert Smith Hampton (LSH) handled the sale of the premises and while they could not confirm the price that the premises were sold for, the Belmont had been listed at £975,000.

Phillip Smith, Associate Director at LSH, said: “We were encouraged by the level of interest towards the hotel being shown by both local operators and those from further afield.”

A spokesperson for the Alonso Group also praised the Bonnar family for the smooth changeover.